This thing grows! Always click this HOME button to ensure you see the most recent SC posts!

To see older posts, you can either use the date selector in the Blog Archive (RH side), or just click through using the Older Posts link at the bottom of each page.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Kickoff...... Blog Post #1 of.....Well, it's anyone's guess.


Here we go....an attempt to document the fulfillment of a dream to ride across America on a motorcycle. I'm not doing the whole bit, East to West (My son did that and he's still got a sore back!), but I am planning a scaled-back adventure that starts in Alexandria, Virginia (my current home), though the south, to New Orleans, Louisiana. 
And back.



A goal for the trip is to avoid, whenever practical, the Interstate Highway System. Instead, I'm making my way through the Southeast via back roads and through small towns. I want to re-discover America, and maybe even my roots. I've always felt "southern", and consider myself a Texan (sorry Baltimore). For me, this is like a trip home.



My Mom and I spent many summer hours and countless miles on the roads between Baltimore and Fort Worth, Texas, and through the window of the car I saw countless places where I wanted to stop: Roadside stands, tourist traps, snake farms, and all those signs pointing toward something historic. On this trip, I'm making some of those stops, and might even spend a little extra time in a friendly town if the mood strikes. Even longer if one of the local ladies talks me into it. Of course, the local authorities might just encourage me to get my ass back on the Harley and move on. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.



So with that intro, I'll try to tell you a little about my long-awaited trip, and maybe you can ride along with me...in spirit, anyway...on a trip where I'm looking for a little Southern Comfort.


PS - I'll probably lapse into using my old nickname, "Cowboy", through much of this. Old friends still call me that, and it somehow seems appropriate to resurrect the name for the ride.

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME KEN !!
    Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris. The bike should make it, and we'll just have to see if the body holds up to the task!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! This is truly an adventure! Nothing like a man and the road. East to West is crazy but someone can speak about that, thats the true spirit of adventure. This will be yours. Stop at all those crazy stops and be part of your surroundings. I admit, I am envious of these type of runs...Be safe and have a helluva a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jay. Preparations are underway...Stay tuned for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are ready for an overnight or at least dinner when you pass by the Raleigh area. Would be great to see ya. -Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll make it a point! It would definitely be great to see you guys! Probably be coming that way on the way back up from NOLA. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You Rock Ken!!! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete